Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Contrarian Minds

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me." said Jack Nicholson in the movie Departed.

Most people are products of their environments and circumstances. Their joy and sorrow are so tied to external factors.

The famous Stanford Prison Experiment where students did role plays of prison life bears testimony to this.

The Broken Windows Theory is an example where this concept used in a positive way.

I think that was the true genius of people like Gandhi, Martin Luther King and Mandela. They all determined that no matter what circumstances they are put into, their mind and actions need not be influenced by it.

1 comment:

Rajashree Prabhu said...

Well written Vishal. I agree If you are confident of your good deeds and sure that you are on the right track then there is no looking back .You will make a difference to the society. The external forces , bonds & ties have very little impact if you have positive & steadfast mind.

Post a Comment