I was in 1st Standard and it so happened that one weekend, my school, 'Greets Academy' (which my brother used to call 'Monkey Greets' for some reason), announced an event on the Saturday and Dad decided that we would skip this weekend. I was angry, obviously, at the disruption of my normal weekend routine to attend school on the weekend.
But come Friday and the principal announced that the Saturday thing was cancelled.
Yippe! Now we can go but how do we get a car? We didn't have a phone at home at that time.
As I was walking past the 'V Gaurd' office on the way back home after school that evening, I realized, I could make a call from there.
Of course, I didn't have the money to pay for the call, but I knew that if the call was quick and because I was small, they wouldn't ask for money.
So, I entered the office, went to the manager and asked him if I could make a call. He showed me the phone and I made a call to my uncle in Kochi to send a car that evening because I didn't have 'school' on Saturday.
After the call, I put my hand in my pocket as if to reach for money and asked:
"How much?"
"Hey, don't bother." said the manager there.
Phew. I said "thanks" and walked out quickly home.
When I reached home, I told this to my mother who didn't believe me until the car arrived to pick us up.
No comments:
Post a Comment