Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Tempting fate

I didn't agree with my cousin's post on Fate.

Hard and smart work does guarantee a level of success but to get escape velocity to become an 'outlier', you definitely need luck. I am not talking about serendipity but getting lucky of being at the right place at the right time to take advantage of a situation that will make you an outlier.

Ofcourse, you can increase your chances of getting lucky. But there is no guarantee because there is too much randomness in our lives.

Many successful people will agree that they were lucky. This is because they have seen other people who did the same things but did not get as lucky. It was interesting to listen to this talk on how ancient people used the concept of luck to remain humble and therefore expose themselves to more success.

It is ofcourse, inspiring to think that hard work leads to success. There is no other way. But once you become successful, it pays to believe in luck. 

It ain't over till its over.

4 comments:

hmnaik said...

I fully agree with you Vishal

Vishal Naik said...

Papa, seems like you have configured a blog. http://hmnaik.blogspot.com/ Really looking forward to your writings :)

Rajashree Prabhu said...

Vishal... I feel your cousin was writing about completely depending on fate which 90% of us Indians tend to do. I do believe 'Ceteris Paribus' the person putting the maximum efforts does get a chance to be an outlier. Luck is only secondary.Gods grace is our pillar of strength and motivation to work in the correct direction.

Vishal Naik said...

I agree that dependence on fate is a pessimistic and the resort of losers.

Post a Comment