Pages

Friday, December 11, 2009

100 Not Out*

I initially started this blog as a place for curating my thoughts. More like a private diary to see how my thoughts evolve over time. A place to vent anger. A place where I can contemplate unimportant things like the meaning of life :)

Generally, a thought comes to my mind during on a conversation or while watching something and I start writing and I try to validate my ideas with things that I have read. Sometimes the process of writing (or typing to be precise) itself contributes to ideas for the post.

I have found empirically that I get more thoughts when I am busy or when I shouldn't be thinking about such things :) I don't know if its typical or not but perhaps the brain is built that way. For e.g. before college exams when they give you time to study, I used to feel an urge to read IEEE magazines or business mags or think about how to write a particular computer game like Tetris or do something in the coming holidays. But that is for another post.

Sometimes I do wonder if I should continue to write this blog. There are a lot of risks to writing down your thoughts. For instance, it might appear arrogant to think that your thoughts are valuable enough to be written somewhere. Or I might write something stupid and may come across as an idiot (Silence at least gives you the benefit of the doubt). Or people who read this blog will judge me solely based on the things that I write here. Or I might lose my job if my manager finds it :) (which is the reason I have not shared the blog with a lot of people)

But if not anything else, I find it amusing to read my old posts and laugh on something that I wrote which I now think is stupid. For e.g. I was clearly wrong on this one: http://somethingvishy.blogspot.com/2009/01/on-nris.html

And then, when you are staying far away from your family, writing a blog may be the only way to communicate your ideas to them.

Blogging would be worth it just for the above reasons but it turns out there is more value in it than just that:


Most of our happiness and productivity comes from the everyday details of our lives: the people we live and work with, the books we read, the hikes we take, the parties we attend, etc. But how do we choose these things? How do we know what to do, and how do know if we'll like it? The obvious answer is that we do and like whatever the TV tells us to do and like. I'm not certain that's the best answer though...

By sharing more of our own thoughts and lives with the world, we contribute to the global pool of "how to live", and over time we also get contributions back from the world.....

Sharing your boring thoughts and activities may seem narcissistic and self-absorbed at first (I'm still kind of embarrassed about having a blog), but there is virtue and benefit in it. Naturally there will be challenges and fear along the way, but in the long term we're contributing to a more open, fluid society, where people are more able to find happy, productive lives. It also encourages us to be more accepting of others. Everyone is flawed, and the more we see that we aren't alone, the less we need to fear that truth.....

People can not truly live and thrive in a prison -- we require freedom and mobility. This may explain my incomprehensible analogy, "Open as in water, the fluid necessary for life".....

* The title of this blog indicates the count of my posts so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment